This is a nice sweet mild chilli sauce, you will get sweet, salty and some gentle spice with this one. Perfect chilli sauce for a typical bacon and eggs breakfast. Or you could put in on almost any meal.
chillies used – Aji Amarillo
The Aji Amarillo is a mild fruity chilli and used in lots of Peruvian food. This is the perfect chilli for this sauce.
Chilli sauce Ingredients
- 10 x Aji Amarillo chillies
- 700g plums in natural juice (pips removed)
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- 3 x anchovy fillets
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- Olive oil
- White pepper
Home made chilli sauce method
- Preheat oven to 160 deg celsius and line a baking tray with tinfoil.
- Slice and deseed Aji Amarillo chillies, lightly coat in olive oil and roast for 40mins or until flesh is soft.
- Place roasted Aji Amarillo chillies into a food processor and blend to a smooth paste, adding a little olive oil while blending helps make a nice smooth paste.
- Strain and remove seeds from plums. Keep the juice.
- Place fresh Aji Amarillo paste and deseeded plums into a large saucepan or stock pot. Heat gently and gradually add the plum juice (do not boil). Once the plums and the paste has combined well, allow to cool the pour the mixture into a food processor. Add the anchovy fillets and blend to a smooth paste. Strain paste and pour back into your saucepan or stock pot.
- Add ginger, garlic, vinegar and sumac to mixture, heat gently and do not let it boil. Reduce mixture by half or until you have a nice thick sauce. Season with salt and white pepper.
- Allow mixture to cool. Once cool, you are now ready to enjoy and bottle your sauce. Refrigerate once bottled.